TOWSON, Md. - When Towson University holds its annual Black and Gold Spring Football Game on Saturday, May 1, it will be more than just a football scrimmage. It will be a festival of Tiger football.
While the game is set for a 12:30 kickoff in Johnny Unitas® Stadium, activities actually start at 9:30 a.m. when the Tiger coaching staff holds a free clinic for young people on the Tigers' practice field.
Although admission to the game is free, all fans are asked to donate a canned food item to be donated as the football program supports the Maryland Food Bank.
Prior to the Black and Gold Spring Game, there will be a football tailgate that is open to the fans. The tailgate, which will be held in Parking Lot 20, will provide an opportunity for Tiger football fans to mingle with Coach Rob Ambrose and many Tiger football alumni.
Inside Johnny Unitas® Stadium, fans will find a number of activities:
- Inflatable games including a 1,000-square foot obstacle course.
- Doc's Locker Room sale where fans can purchase authentic game-used Tiger apparel.
- Opportunity to purchase Tiger football tee-shirt with the 2010 schedule on the back.
- Halftime on-field football combine for Towson University students directed by the coaching staff.
- Face-painting by members of the Tiger women's basketball team
- "Dress Like A Tiger" where fans can have their photos taken wearing a Towson jersey and helmet.
- Interact with Towson University's corporate partners including
- Massage Envy
- Towson Place Apartments
The gates to Unitas Stadium will open 60 minutes prior to kickoff.
Tiger football fans will also be able to purchase 2010 football season tickets and select their seat locations at the Black and Gold Game. The date of the Black and Gold Game is also the deadline for 2009 season ticket holders to retain their seats for the 2010 season.
Additionally, two lucky fans and their guests can experience the Black and Gold Game from the sidelines by participating in the on-line auction to be a guest coach for either the Black team or the Gold team. Each winner will get the chance to join the team in the locker room before the game, watch the team warm up on the field and assist the coaching staff during the game. Each person will also receive a replica team jersey as well.
Coach Rob Ambrose has 51 letter winners returning from last season, including a trio of senior defensive backs. Cornerbacks Jeremy Gardner and Ollie Thomas have been three-year starters while strong safety Ray White is a two-year starter,