TOWSON, Md. - The Tigers (11-9, 2-2 CAA) rebounded from Saturday's loss to Howard in a big way Monday, defeating conference rival George Mason 6-1 at the Towson Center Tennis Courts. The win helped Towson improve to 2-2 in the Colonial Athletic Association.
"I'm hoping today will be the start of some good things coming ahead," Towson Head Coach Doug Neagle said. "We've had some losses that we thought we could have been better in, but a win like today we can really build on."
Samlin defeated Ekaterina Desiatnikova 6-1 and 6-1 in singles play, then teamed with Lizana in doubles to defeat Alison Wingo and Brooke Blackwell 8-4 in doubles.
Shah was impressive in her singles match, defeating Blackwell in straight sets 6-1 and 6-0.
Burke and Dow also posted straight set victories for the Tigers in the win.
Towson will next face the Naval Academy Wednesday in a road match beginning at 3:00 p.m.
Towson University 6, George Mason University 1
1. Alison Wingo (MASON) def. Aandria Carr (TOWSON) 4-6, 6-4, 10-8
2. Nani Lizana (TOWSON) def. Ashley Delaney (MASON) 2-6, 7-5, 10-5
3. Nisha Shah (TOWSON) def. Brooke Blackwell (MASON) 6-1, 6-0
4. Andrea Samlin (TOWSON) def. E. Desiatnikova (MASON) 6-1, 6-1
5. Ayana Dow (TOWSON) def. Tori Zalewski (MASON) 6-3, 6-1
6. Ariel Burke (TOWSON) def. Andrea Londen (MASON) 6-4, 6-2