TOWSON, Md. – Stony Brook earned a 5-2 win over the Tigers on Wednesday afternoon at the Towson Center Tennis Courts.
The Seawolves took an early lead in the match by winning all three of the doubles games. At first doubles, Nini Lagvilava and Polina Movchan defeated Ayana Dow and Ariel Burke 8-2. Katherine Hanson and Salome Mkervalidze battled for an 8-5 win over Andrea Samlin and Nani Lizana at second doubles. Prerana Appineni and Chloe Pike completed the sweep with an 8-3 win over Nisha Shah and Ioana Aprodu at third doubles.
The Tigers earned a pair of wins in singles play. At third singles, Shah posted her team leading 13th win of the year with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Hanson. Burke led Pike at sixth singles as Pike was forced to retire in the game.
Lagvilava defeated Aandria Carr 6-0, 6-1 at first singles while Movchan earned a 6-4, 7-5 victory over Lizana at second singles. Mkervalidze posted a 6-3, 6-4 win over Samlin at fourth singles while Appineni defeated Dow 6-4, 6-3.
The Tigers will be back in action on Thursday, Apr. 5 when they host Bucknell at 2 p.m.
1. Nini Lagvilava/Polina Movchan d. Ayana Dow/Ariel Burke – 8-2
2. Katherine Hanson/Salome Mkervalidze d. Andrea Samlin/Nani Lizana – 8-5
3. Prerana Appineni/Chloe Pike d. Nisha Shah/Ioana Aprodu – 8-3
1. Lagvilava d. Aandria Carr – 6-0, 6-1
2. Movchan d. Lizana – 6-4, 7-5
3. Shah d. Hanson – 6-1, 6-2
4. Mkervalidze d. Samlin – 6-3, 6-4
5. Appineni d. Dow – 6-4, 6-3
6. Burke d. Pike – 6-3, SB retired