Towson Men’s Basketball Post-Game Notes From Win at UNCW
Towson Team Notes:
* One game after overcoming a 19-point deficit to win at Oregon State, Towson led by as many as 20 and had to hold on for victory at UNCW.
* With the win at UNCW, Towson won back-to-back games on the road for the first time since 2005-06 season when the Tigers won at Lehigh and Charleston.
*The 79 points scored against the Seahawks matched a season-high ... The 44-point first half was the most points scored by the Tigers in an opening stanza this season and matched the 44 points scored in the second half at the College of Charleston for the most points in any half this season ... Towson has scored 69 or more points five times this season after not surpassing 69 points in any game last season.
* The Tigers won their first CAA opener since topping William & Mary to begin league play for the 2006-07 season.
* Towson lost the battle of the boards for only the third time this season at UNCW ... However, the Tigers matched their season low with only six turnovers ... Towson also had just six turnovers at Georgetown.
* Jerome Hairston and Kris Walden combined to play 39 minutes at the point guard position and neither committed a turnover.
* Through the first 10 games of the season, Towson was averaging 16.3 turnovers per game ... Over the last four games, the Tigers are averaging just 9.3 turnovers per game.
* Through 14 games, Towson has played 12 away from home ... The Tigers will play at Drexel on Saturday before returning home for their CAA home opener next Wednesday against William & Mary.
* Towson head coach Pat Skerry is 2-0 against UNC Wilmington ... Last season, he led Towson to a 66-61 win over the Seahawks.
* Towson, which leads the CAA and ranks Top 50 in the nation in blocked shots, had nine total rejections on Wednesday ... That's the second most blocks in a game for the Tigers this season.
* For the second straight game, Towson snapped its opponent's flawless home record. Oregon State was 6-0 at home before falling to the Tigers and UNCW was a perfect 5-0 before facing the Tigers.
* UNCW's Keith Rendleman tied a program record by grabbing 21 rebounds on Wednesday.
* Junior forward Jerrelle Benimon just missed his ninth double-double of the season at UNCW ... He posted a team-high 19 points on 7-for-12 shooting to go along with a team-high tying eight rebounds.
* Benimon, who's third in the CAA in blocks per game, swatted a career-high five Seahawk attempts on Wednesday ... The junior also dished out a career-high tying five assists in the victory.
* Benimon has recorded a block in all but one game this season.
* Junior Marcus Damas has scored in double-digits in four of his last five games and in six games total this year.
* Junior guard Mike Burwell scored in double figures for the seventh time this season at UNCW ... He's second on the team in double-digit scoring games.
* Burwell, who hit two three-point baskets against the Seahawks, has made two or more three’s in a game seven times this season.
* Graduate student Bilal Dixon posted his first double figure scoring game since November 19 as the forward/center tallied 14 points to go along with a team-high tying eight rebounds.
* Dixon is 8-for-11 from the field in his last two games.