TOWSON, Md. – The Tiger women’s tennis team split its two matches on Saturday at the Towson Center Tennis Courts. Towson (10-9) defeated Coppin State 7-0 in the morning match before falling to Howard 6-1.
Against the Eagles, the Tigers earned an early point with a sweep of the doubles games. Ariel Burke and Ayana Dow earned an 8-1 win over Katherine Chisholm and Lauretta Mukam at first doubles. Aandria Carr and Cailey Easdale posted an 8-2 victory at second doubles over Jennifer Mitchell and Sharise Coppin. Amanda Ocker and Jessi Grim completed the sweep with an 8-1 win at third doubles.
At first singles, Carr was a 6-0, 6-1 winner over Chisholm. Nisha Shah earned a straight sets victory at second singles versus Mukam. Ioana Aprodu contributed a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Mitchell in the third singles spot. Burke earned a 6-3, 6-0 victory at fourth singles while playing against Coppin. Easdale and Grim contributed 6-0, 6-0 victories at fifth and sixth singles.
In the second match, Howard grabbed an early lead in the match by winning two of the three doubles games. Andrea Samlin and Nina Lizana posted the Tigers’ win in second doubles with an 8-2 win over Anne Akhimien and Talia Johnson.
Howard won five of the six singles games to complete the victory. The Tigers got their point in the match at third singles as Shah defeated Cory Hawthorne, 6-3, 4-6, 7-5.
Towson resumes Colonial Athletic Association play when the Tigers host George Mason on Monday, Apr. 9 at 3 p.m.
Towson 7, Coppin State 0
1. Ariel Burke/Ayana Dow def. Katherine Chisholm/Lauretta Mukam 8-1
2. Aandria Carr/Cailey Easdale def. Jennifer Mitchell/Sharise Coppin 8-2
3. Amanda Ocker/Jessi Grim def. Schmitt/Bindule 8-1
Howard 6, Towson 1
1. Katelyn Stokes/Brittney Morgan def. Dow/Burke 9-7
2. Andrea Samlin/Nani Lizana def. Anne Akhimien/Talia Johnson 8-2
3. Michelle Brown/Cory Hawthorne def. Shah/Easdale 8-3
1. Stokes def. Carr 6-2,6-3
2. Morgan def. Lizana 6-4,6-4
3. Shah def. Hawthorne 6-3,4-6,7-5
4. Brown def. Samlin 6-0,4-6,6-0
5. Johnson def. Dow 6-2,4-6,(10-7)
6. Akhimien def. Burke 6-4,6-0